Right on the heels of my amazing trip to California comes another exciting (yet also somewhat unnerving) event – my 30th birthday! Yes, like it or not, this Saturday I’ll kiss my 20s goodbye and welcome a new decade for the fourth time in my life.
Do I feel “ready” to turn 30? No. Do I feel like I’m in a better, happier, more secure place than I was when I turned 20? Without a doubt, yes. In fact, those I’ve talked to who are already in their 30s say that this decade has been by far the best time of their lives to date, which I certainly hope will be the case for me, as well.
In an effort to focus on the positive, I recently wrote a post for All Women Stalk on “7 Awesome Things About Turning 30 That Will Get You Excited” and have been putting together a goal list for the next 10 years. But before I become too focused on the future, I also want to look back and remember all of the best memories from my 20s, including the 10 listed below.
|Even though I can't actually head back to Hawaii for my birthday, I'll definitely be raising a glass to the next 10 years!
1. Being editor in chief of my college’s paper, Daily Sundial, during undergrad
2. Graduating with my bachelor’s in journalism
3. Moving cross-country from California to DC eight years ago
4. Meeting and marrying my wonderful husband
5. Adopting Molly and Twix, the sweetest fur kids ever
6. Obtaining my master’s degree in publishing
7. Traveling to cool places like Hawaii, Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama and, of course, California
8. Making memories with my grandparents during our final years together
9. Writing, editing, being a congressional aide, coordinating weddings and working on various other professional projects I've loved
10. Taking ongoing steps (both forward and backward) toward living a healthier life
What’s next? I’m about to find out! Do those of you who are already in your 30s or about to celebrate this milestone birthday have any tips or advice for me?